Artists United for Children and Youth Development; (AUCAYD) was established in 2007. AUCAYD is a Non-political, Non-governmental and Non-profit making organization registered with the Ministry of Education Youths and Sports (MYES) and the Ministry of Social Welfare Gender and Children Affairs (MSWGCA).
It is an indisputable fact that after the decade long civil war in Sierra Leone, those that received the blunt aspect of atrocities are mostly young people (youths and children). The intention of learning the past is not a bad one, but the challenging aspect of it is how to confront the pas and transforming the future. To this end positive social transformation is much needed tool for the sustainable growth and development of young people across the country and the world at large.
It’s against this moral sublime, that Artists United for Children and Youth Development; (AUCAYD) was established in 2007. AUCAYD is a Non-political, Non-governmental and Non-profit making organization registered with the Ministry of Education Youths and Sports (MYES) and the Ministry of Social Welfare Gender and Children Affairs (MSWGCA). AUCAYD seeks to discover, empower and promote young people’s talents and to advocate on issues affecting them and their communities, which are common in other parts of the world. It`s uses Arts (Music, Drama, Creative Writing, Dancing and Short Films) Media technology (Internet, Radio and Television) and Culture (ethnic, traditional norms and values). Thus the novelty behind it formation is creativity for an improve society.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- Create a platform for young people to learn, share and interact with their peers, through Arts, Culture and Media-Technology.
- Using Information Communication Technology (ICT) as a way of bridging the digital divide.
- To discover, empower and promote the talents of young people for self reliance, economic growth, sustainable peace and development.
- Using the artistic approach to campaign on issues that are affecting especially young people (Children & youths) in Sierra Leone and their counterparts around the world.
- Building the minds of young people to achieve positive social change and make informed decision with regards matters of community and national development.
- Working towards minimizing the prevalence of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) and help make Poverty a history; by allowing young people to take the lead and work for a better society.
- To foster constructive involvement, participation and partnership with likeminded individuals, groups and organization
Owing to the fact that, various communities are susceptible to different problems, due to their Social, Political, Economic, and Cultural/ Traditional activities. We strive diversify our effort; and let the impact of our work be felt in the lives of children and youth. Thus we have highlighted a host of contemporary issues that are being grouped under four broad headings:
- Health & Sanitation: HIV/AIDS, STIs/STDs, Environmental Protection.
- Human Rights: Education (Girl Child), Gender Equality, Children’s Rights, and Women’s Rights.
- Education: Peace Building, Conflict Mitigation and Empowerment.
- Poverty: Youth Employment, Underemployment, Teenage Pregnancy, Illiteracy, Disability and Prostitution.
To enable young people implement remedial strategies, document problems and communicate solutions on issues of local and global distress.
Bringing young people together and advocate against all forms of social injustice, through folk media.
Making life meaningful for the younger- generation towards a sustainable future.
Oneness for Progress
- http Making life meaningful for the younger- generation towards a sustainable future://inwent-iij-lab.org/Weblog/2009/07/23/aucayd-talents-go-international/
- War Child Canada (Donor)
- Centre for the Coordination of Youth Activities
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport
- Ministry of Social Welfare, Gender and Children Affairs
- Save The Children Sierra Leone
- Student Partnership Sierra Leone
- Cause and Affect Foundation USA
- West Africa Youth Network